What you will need:
- Sourdough Queen sourdough starter kit
- Strong white flour
- Water (preferably distilled water)
- Kitchen scale
- Spoon or small spatula
- Kettle (optional)
- First, place 10 grams of flour into the jar provided
- Then, add 10 grams of water (boiled and cooled if not using distilled water)
- Stir together well (approx. 2-5 minutes) and mark the height of your mixture on the jar with the rubber band provided. Also take note of the temperature. Overtime, the mixture will grow in height and get warmer as the wild yeasts from your air begin digesting the flour, water mixture and producing gas bubbles. This is the beginning of your starter!
- Loosely place the lid on the jar and place on a warm spot, for example, by a window, in your oven with your oven light on, kitchen counter etc. and let sit for 24 hours.
- Repeat steps 1-4 every day for the next 7-10 days. Be sure to discard half each day before feeding with new flour and water.
Once the starter is bubbly, active and doubling consistently, it's ready for making your very own sourdough bread! Find our easy, no-knead sourdough recipe here.
Caring for your new pet:
If you plan to bake frequently, you will need to feed your starter culture daily. Common feeding ratios include 1:1:1 up to 5:5:1 - flour to water to starter.
If you'll be baking less frequently, you can store your starter in the fridge and take it out to feed 24-48 hours before baking bread.
Got a question?
Find us on Instagram @sourdough.queen and drop us a line!